Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Filipino Dish of The Week: Kare-Kare (Peanut Butter Beef Oxtail Stew)

Kare-Kare
Peanut Butter Beef Oxtail Stew
(pronounced Kah-reh Kah-reh)

I learned how to make this from my mom back home. It's so good, you won't even know its peanut butter! This dish may seem odd to all you non-filipino people, but I love it!

Ingredients
-Beef Oxtail
-String Beans (substitute with Green Beans if none available)
-Asian Eggplant (substitute with the big round one if none available)
-Onion
-Garlic
-Bokchoy
-Peanut Butter
-Beef broth

The traditional Kare-Kare recipe has beef tripe in it but I didn't put it since I cannot find it here where I'm at and a lot of vegetables we have back in Guam aren't available here in South Dakota but it tastes pretty much the same.
I boiled the beef for about 2-3 hours or until its soft. (Pressure cooker=faster!) Dissolve the peanut butter with water and set aside. After beef is soft, i boiled beef broth in a pot, added the garlic and onions and meat. Then added eggplant and green beans. I let those cook for a bit. Then stirred in the peanut butter and bokchoy. I let it simmer for a little bit. It's good to eat on top of hot white rice! YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment